Want a better, leaner hood?
Dome Hoods & Barrier Isolators
|Down-draft Dome Fume Hood
||Traditional Lab/Shop Hood
Search for hoods
|Up to 28 cfm
||200 to 800 cfm
|Up to 25 watts
||Fan Power Required
||Up to 300 watts +
|Up to $75 /yr.
||Operating HVAC Cost
||Up to $1300 / yr.
|Up to $150 /yr.
||Inspection & Maint.
||Up to $600 /yr.
|$25 to $80 / hood
||$90 to $500 / hood
|$700 to $950 / hood
||Purchase + S/H
||$1100 to $4500 / hood
|$20 to $90 / hood
||Maint. Filter & Permits
||$80 to $1500 / hood
|$1600 / hood (typ)
||5 yr. Purch. & Use Cost
||$7000 / hood (typ)
- Ergonomic dome is easy to install & maintain
- Strong, light-weight dome is rugged, chemically stable and durable
- High efficiency, low air-flow design
- Low air flow often avoids roof penetrations & environmental permit requirements
- Much lower maintenance & testing costs
- Simpler & more reliable
- Faster to order, ship and install
- Easier to operate & clean (no corners)
- Drasically smaller carbon footprintv
- Far less expensive to buy, install and use
- Light weight & spill control base provide extra flexibility
- Far easier access for process setup & maintenance
- Not durable/safe for welding or open flame
- Not compatible with strong organic solvents and some other chemicals
- Requires more air-flow than barrier isolators
- May require permit not needed for glovebox
- Limited size/material options
- Traditional design - well known - may not require training or acceptance
- Works with high temperature processes like welding and with open flame
- Available in very large sizes when required
- Available in versions that are compatible with strong organic solvents and acids
- May require expensive site prep & design
- Requires high flowrate of exhaust air
- High exhaust flow could require a roof penetration and/or environmental permit
- Possible high testing and environmental permit costs
- Adds to HVAC load - may require capacity incr.
- Complex maintenance - var. speed drives, etc.
- Filter replacement may be expensive and difficult
- Corners, seams and light fixtures are hard to clean
- Complex & expensive to test and maintain
- Expensive to buy
- Expensive to ship
- Expensive to install
- Expensive to operate (especially exhaust/HVAC)
- Expensive to maintain
- Expensive to test/permit
- Huge carbon footprint
- Not as environmentally friendly as other tech.
- High efficiency, low
For many contemporary applications, barrier isolation glove box enclosures provide simpler, safer, less expensive processing than is possible using hoods, but when massive smoke, vapor or heat must be removed, glovebox technology is seldom an option. In some applications, barrier isolation workstations are safer and more practical, but may not comply with corporate standards, government regulations or other requirements established or carried over from the 20th century.
In most R/D, quality assurance, industrial assembly, biotech and gmp applications, regulatory issues and standards are unlikely to impede implementation of newer, more efficient barrier isolation systems. In highly regulated medical and pharma applications, it is often easier to apply barrier isolation in applications that have not previously been isolated in hoods, than in processes where hoods are the typical handling technology in place. While infrastructure and older standards may pose a challenge, the massive improvement in risk control, cost, ecological control and efficiency often is worth the effort to implement barrier isolation, when it is possible.
In some cases it may be possible to provide the efficiency and reliability of barrier isolation while satisfying old requirements by combining barrier isolation glove box systems with hoods or cleanrooms. By placing a barrier isolator inside a large hood or other laminar air wash clean room, a process can be better controlled, with less emissions and reduced safety risk, but at a higher operating cost. In the long run, it seems likely that standards and regulations will be updated, but they should be carefully checked prior to changing your isolation approach.
A few of the reasons why organizations move from fume hoods to barrier isolation include:
- Eliminating the cost of custom hood/enclosure engineering, design and fabrication
- Reducing or eliminating the cost of ductwork, fan upgrades, heating/AC and ventillation system upgrades for these sources
- Reducing HVAC / energy expense from additional building exhaust and related heating or cooling
- Eliminating new roof penetration and exhaust environmental permits and related costs and delays
- Reducing maintenance & operational headaches from work in, on and around stationary enclosures
- Reducing or eliminating lighing issues for work under vent hoods (clear dome uses room lighing)
- Reducing floorspace and counterspace required due to small footprint (4.8 square feet)
- Reducing downtime and maintenance cost for station access (hood remove & replace times < 2 minutes)
- Reducing filter media and replacement labor costs ( HEPA cartridges last longer, and cost < $80 )
- Reducing risk, exposure, insurance and compliance costs by means of fail-safe performance
- Reducing direct energy cost ( power requirement < 0.3 KWH per 40 hr. week for Safe-T-Dome™)
|Health Issues EbooksHealth issues ebooks offers quality information on how to overcome common ailments, disease and other health related issues to help you maintain your body, and stay in tip top shape so you can enjoy a long, fit and healthy life.
|Baseline Technology LtdBaseline technology ltd, specialists in gas & liquid chromatography servicing, training, validation and consumables
|North East LabgearQuality used hplc, gc instruments and other lab equipment at affordable prices. All tested and working before shipping. Gc & lc equipment fully serviced.
|Medical Practice Management Software, Medical Billing SoftwareDsoft systems has developed a state of art medical practice software, ezmedpro. It provides appointment scheduling,medical billing, electronic medical records,medical management, case management, scheduling and revenue reports and many more functions
|Shop FittingsBethel shop fittings provide solutions for shop fitting, shopfitters, industrial shelving, storage shelving, steel shelving, display rack showcases in australia wide at factory direct prices.
|Ent DoctorAscent ent is the leading ear nose throat specialists in singapore and indonesia
|Proto Direct, Prototype Plastic Parts . FastRapid prototype services, plastic prototypes, vacuum forming, engineering services, invention assistance.
|Hartsell & Associates Legal Nurse ConsultantsWe assist plaintiff and defense attorneys to victory on medical cases by providing over 34 years healthcare expertise at the bedside and in nursing administration. Ask the person that physicians rely on - a rn.
|AluminahydrateChemical supplier from India
|Chauffeur LiverpoolWe offer the finest, luxury chauffeur driven mercedes-benz s-class 2007 vehicles available. For business, weddings, wedding car hire, airport transfers, meet and greet service and all special events throughout chester, wirral, liverpool & cheshire
|State Board Of NursingBoards of nursing are state governmental agencies that are responsible for the regulation of nursing practice in each respective state.
|Soil AnalysisMoisture testing machine and soil testing machine manufacturer and supplier from india
|Reed Instruments DistributorReed instruments Store at Global Test Supply
|Google SearchingThe most popular general internet search engine
|Yahoo!Powerful search engine by the number 1 web portal company
|Link Market - Free Link Exchange Directory#1 Free Link Exchange Directory On The Web - Link MarketHave you ever tried to exchange links, swap links, or trade links? Was it hard? Use link market instead; - it is easy to use, free and very smart. It will save you hours of work.
|Enviro-Dome EnclosuresSite for Museum, Animal cage, Display, Terrarium, Demonstration, and other non-hazardous use of Clear Dome cases and glovebox cabinets.
|LabX Scientific Equipment salesPortal for purchase of new and used laboratory equipment
|Banthrax at MySpaceBanthrax Corporation MySpace Page
|Safe-T-Dome Cabinets - Global sitePressurized glove box enclosures: International website for Safe-T-Dome and Posi-Dome cabinets available in Asia, Europe, Africa and everywhere outside the USA.